Friday, January 30, 2009

BIRDS HATE ME.

So, I really despise pigeons.

REWIND.

When I lived in SoCal, I was in the San Fernando Valley. The place I lived in was sort of ghetto-ish. Every morning[4 AM] I was awoken by the wonderful sounds of roosters crowing... yes roosters. I lived next to a place that had a makeshift farm with chickens, goats, dogs, etc. I hated that place. I try not to use that word anymore but I really did hate that place.

It is hard to stay in sexy mode talking to a girl on the phone with that soundtrack in the background. And it is even harder to convince a girl to go down on you[romantically] when the sweet sound of goats is outside your window. When I took home first dates, it would always be awkward. Hahahaha. Writing about this right now is giving me a smile on my face. Although I hated the place, I did have lots of great memories there.

FAST FORWARD.

I was up until 9am today because a couple of pigeons nested themselves in my storm drain. These birds did not choose the west wing of the house next to the backyard with a bird pond. They chose the drain above my room; so, they can torture me with their claws scraping against the walls and their incessant purring. I'm in a nasty mood all day from the two hour loss of sleep that it makes me want to punch every happy person that greets me at work. My ex's place did not have the proper air conditioning but I would gladly stay at that house with her nagging and lack of cool air over the sound of these nasty birds early in the morning any day. This is my fucken karma and I don't know why. I was kind to animals when I was young. Now... if I see an injured pigeon on the street, I will kick that thing in the neck! Swear to Allah.

They eat pigeons in France.
I will eat the hell out of a pigeon when I get to Paris!
.
.
.
.
Anyhow.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Austins Steakhouse held a wine dinner with hosts Ferrari Carano Vineyards and Winery.

1st Course:
BLT Carpaccio
2006 FC Pinot Noir, Anderson Valley, CA

2nd Course:
Confit of Duck Ravioli in Consomme
2007 FC Fume Blanc, Sonoma, CA

3rd Course:
Classic Warm Spinach Salad
2006 FC Siena, Sonoma, CA

4th Course:
Crab Stuffed Dover Sole with Tomato & Zucchini
2006 FC Chardonnay, Alexander Valley, CA

Intermezzo:
Raspberry Champagne Sorbet

5th Course:
Kona Crusted Beef with Maytag Blue Cheese & Chive Polenta Cake
2004 Prevail West Face, Alexander Valley, CA

6th Course:
Peanut Butter & Chocolate Tortellini with Espresso Creme Anglaise
2007 FC El Dorado Noir, Russian River Valley, CA

I didn't post the finished product this time. I thought it would be more exciting[imo anyway] to post the process of cooking, plating, and presenting. My favorite course was the duck confit ravioli. This dish is what I want my cooking to be all about. It was classic, simple, clean, flavourful, and complex all in one. And it tasted soo good.










-Cinista.

2 comments:

goldie said...

So. Cus I'm bored and alla that, I thought you should know that Wikipedia sez: "In Islam, doves and the pigeon clan in general are respected and favoured because they are believed to have assisted the prophet of Islam, Muhammad in distracting his enemies outside the cave of Thaw'r in the great Hijra."

I don't know wtf that last bit about the cave is, but I don't think Allah wants you kicking those flying rats in the neck. Unfortunately. Besides, they are bold birds and if you tried to get them, I'm sure they'd gather a posse and you'd wake up bound and gagged in some human-sized pigeon nest behind a dumpster in some hood. For realsies.

That aside, maybe consider pigeon confit ravioli. I'd try it. If you did. First.

goldie said...

So. Cus I'm bored and alla that, I thought you should know that Wikipedia sez: "In Islam, doves and the pigeon clan in general are respected and favoured because they are believed to have assisted the prophet of Islam, Muhammad in distracting his enemies outside the cave of Thaw'r in the great Hijra."

I don't know wtf that last bit about the cave is, but I don't think Allah wants you kicking those flying rats in the neck. Unfortunately. Besides, they are bold birds and if you tried to get them, I'm sure they'd gather a posse and you'd wake up bound and gagged in some human-sized pigeon nest behind a dumpster in some hood. For realsies.

That aside, maybe consider pigeon confit ravioli. I'd try it. If you did. First.